Fewer than 2,000 T-44s were built, compared to about 58,000 T-34s.
Although the T-44 was available by the end of the war, it was not used in combat.
The D-25-44T tank gun was very similar to the basic D-25 field gun, but differed in some minor details including fixed single-piece ammunition to increase the rate of fire and a double-baffle muzzle brake.
Design work on a slightly enlarged version of the T-44 began during the war and a prototype was produced in 1945.
This newer design entered production in 1947 as the T-54/55 series of medium tanks, the most-produced tank of all time.
The T-44 is a medium tank first produced near the end of World War II by the Soviet Union.
It was the successor to the T-34, offering improved ride and cross-country performance and much greater armor.
The cover of the engine and transmission compartment turned along with the radiator; this allowed easier access to the engine, transmission and batteries.
The significant decrease in the length of the engine compartment allowed the turret to be moved rearwards, which in turn moved its rotation axis and the center of mass The thickness of the frontal armor protection more than doubled without disturbing the center of mass or drastically increasing the weight of the tank.
Visibility from the driver's position was improved.
The driver was protected from being splashed by water while the vehicle was fording. Aside from standard trials, the T-44-122 was put in competitive trials against aacaptured German Panzerkampfwagen V Panther medium tank The second prototype uncovered additional faults in the design.
The height of the tank was decreased by 300 mm, even though the turret remained almost the same.
Removal of the conical pair in the transmission permitted fitting a more compact gear box and improved the control of the brakes and the steering clutch.
The side armour was 45 mm thick and could be reinforced by 30 mm thick additional armour plate.